Ms. Patti Saylor will guide viewers through the actions that have been taken since the death of her son Ethan. The training will open with this clip from WUSA9, http://archive.wusa9.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=269928. Ms. Saylor will then describe the steps taken that resulted in the development of training for law enforcement officers. She will describe the goal of the training to include increased awareness about people with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities (I/DD) in our communities and the probability of an interaction with law enforcement. She will further explain the need for relationship building between law enforcement and people with I/DDs. Ms. Saylor will discuss the creation of the Ethan Saylor Alliance and the need for people with I/DD to participate in law enforcement training. Viewers should walk away from this training with an increased understanding of the personal and systemic issues that impact people with I/DD, law enforcement, and the community in general.
During this webinar you will learn:
- Recognize that people with I/DD are people.
- Remind viewers that people with I/DD live in our world as family members, friends, employees, and consumers.
- Explain that the behaviors and characteristics exhibited by people with I/DD are contradictory to societal norms.
- Describe how the general public may respond to people with I/DD with fear and mistrust resulting in calls to law enforcement.
- Explain how communicating with a person with an I/DD will not result in the expected response.
- Describe how taking time, as the situation allows, will build the relationship between the person with I/DD and the officer.