Self-fulfilling prophecy (SFP), when used positively, can assist us in manifesting our intentions and goals and turn these into reality. Unfortunately, people use SFP at times as negative self-talk. The negativity can also come from people other people, even those close to them – like family members and peers.
Leadership is a place where self-fulfilling prophecies are not just self-serving. What you say can affect your subordinates. Whether it’s a lean team of two or a massive department with sub-hierarchies reporting to you. This webinar’s key resource is Amy Morgan, the owner and founder of Academy Hour. She has significant contributions and background in education/training as well as the field of mental health.
This webinar goes into the specifics of education and mental health where learning is utilized to influence and condition the mind. Some of the concepts and topics Amy discussed here are:
- An overview of the concept of leadership.
- Activities to distinguish good from bad leaders, and differentiating managing from leading.
- The “wake” concept where an individual’s character is determined by the wake that they leave behind.
- Self-reflection activity on an individual’s identity and sense of self.
- The different factors influencing what we think of ourselves.
- The definition of self-fulfilling prophecy.
- An activity that illustrates how self-fulfilling prophecy affects how we see ourselves.
- How contradictory perceptions of one’s self and how others see them give rise to the concept of cognitive dissonance.
- The three ways to create most influence on an individual.
- The four-step process of learning through repetition.
- The concept of reframing and using positive positioning to influence an individual.
- Examples and scenarios to practice reframing in a leadership position.
- Integrating reframing and self-fulfilling prophecy to overcome negativity.
- A continuation of the self-reflection activity that assigns negative and positive traits to our own perception of ourselves, and then reframing everything to make it positive and motivational.
- The different forms of bias that people manifest.
- The influencers in our lives that carry these messages of bias or otherwise.
- Her own version of self-fulfilling prophecy growing up.
Inquiries posed in the Q&A portion encompassed:
- Scenarios where SFP and reframing can be applied.
- Techniques in providing effective commendation by using the Five Languages of Love to customize your praises.
- Applying SFP and reframing to challenging superiors.
- Ways to influence teenagers with suicidal tendencies.
- Turning negative talk into positive talk and motivation.
Mentioned In the Webinar:
- Integrity by Henry Cloud
- Character and Servant Leadership by Larry Spears | ResearchGate
- The Mask You Live In | Netflix
- Principles of Learning
- Principles of Learning: Repetition
- Leadership Through the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy FREE Access
- What is Leadership? | Inc.com
- Learning by Repetition: Does it Work?
- Why is Repetition Important to Learning?
- Repetition is the Mother of All Learning
- Basic Guidelines to Reframing – to Seeing Things Differently
- The Five Love Languages
- 100 Answers to the Question: What is Leadership? Inc.com
- Character and servant leadership:Ten characteristics of effective, caring leaders