Utilizing specialized prosecutions units and taskforces to aid local law enforcement in investigating difficult investigations and prosecutions. Today, there are so many crimes vying for law enforcement’s attention, a back to basics approach is necessary. This training will highlight special animal prosecution units and taskforces:
- How to develop them and what they can offer law enforcement by way of collaboration
- Tips for successful investigation and prosecution
- Resources available to tackle difficult issues
- Pitfalls and lessons learned
- Leveraging resources and building coalitions of experts and assets across agencies.
The National Law Enforcement Center on Animal Abuse was established by the National Sheriffs’ Association to provide law enforcement officers information on the realities of animal abuse and to promote their proactive involvement in the enforcement of animal abuse laws in their communities. Through our partners, the Center will serve as an information clearinghouse and forum for law enforcement on the growing problem of animal abuse and its link to other types of crimes, including violence against humans. The Center also promotes officer safety in officer-dog encounters through continuing education and training.