Traditionally community partnership efforts have been designated to a small dedicated Community Policing Unit. The Aurora Police Department incorporates the partnership into everything from hiring to policy decisions.
Participants can expect to learn how to create an organization that embraces the community and incorporates the community into as many aspects of the department as is possible. This partnership improves trust and relationships between the department and the community. This webinar will discuss the creation of these partnerships and how they impact our organization. Topics of conversation will be:
- Hiring the right people, not just anyone
- Community outreach as part of the training academy
- How to create advisory boards to help with policy, community outreach, discipline decisions and to act as a liaison with the community during those times of potential unrest
- Partnering with other City entities to get better collaboration between the City, the PD, and the Community.
- “The training aspect of Aurora’s Police Department during the Academy that included Community Policing in its curriculum.” — David
- “It’s something that’s timely – I’m working on re-vamping our community policing program – so this happened to be of great interest to me. Good topic in general.” — David
- “Excellent presentation.” — Robert
- “I am looking at trying to start a community policing program and was interested to know feedback about starting such a program.” — Joe