Just as technology assists our daily lives to make things easier and seamless, it also helps those with less than honest intentions to do their opportunistic endeavors. Online Luring is just one of the ways that the bad guys are taking advantage of technology to victimize the children and youth.
The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC), since its founding in the 1980s, have strived to help find missing children and prevent child victimization. Today’s guest, Bobby Ladson is NCMEC’s Supervisory Case Manager handling missing child cases and supervising case managers.
Bobby provides an overview of how online enticement of children happens and the online platforms being used by offenders. He also reviews case studies of online luring with two different outcomes and how multi-agency stakeholders responded to these cases. Some of the specifics included in the webinar are:
- What online enticement is, the possible reasons and the outcomes.
- The concept of grooming and which online platforms are being utilized for online luring.
- Missing child cases and how NCMEC classifies these cases.
- Statistics that paint a picture of the extent of the issue and the victims in these cases.
- The common profile of victims, and the activities and vulnerabilities that make them highly likely to become victimized.
- A snapshot of the internet and social media usage trends.
- The top social media platforms, chat and dating apps that serve as the medium where offenders lure children.
- Case studies that feature online luring, providing details on how the enticement happened, the multi-agency response, and how the cases were concluded.
- What NCMEC delivers to support case management, forensic services and field response, and to provide victim and family advocate services.
- During the Q&A, Bobby answered inquiries from the audience related to:
- The correlation between online presence and abduction cases.
- The segment of those abducted who are in foster care.
- Link between online enticement and suicide.
- Verification protocols employed by the social, chat and dating apps.
- The process and turnaround time to obtain information related to social media accounts, IP addresses, etc.
- The Jamie Kloss case.