We often think that we’re all prepared and got all bases covered until a crisis hits us. A crisis can just turn lives and organizations 180 degrees, disrupting established systems and tarnishing reputations. The Art of Crisis Leadership is a book that teaches how to prepare for, navigate, and recover from crisis when it happens.
To talk about the Art of Crisis Leadership is its author, Rob Weinhold. Rob served in both the private and public sector for decades. He worked with the Baltimore Police Department, Maryland’s Governor’s Office, the United States Department of Justice. A renowned leadership and communications strategist, he’s an on-air expert for CNN, FOX, and MSNBC, among other media outlets. He is currently with the Fallston Group that provides consultancy services to organizations by building, strengthening and defending their reputation.
Rob unpacks key concepts and case studies from his book to help individuals and organizations better prepare for and manage crisis when it hits. Points covered on this course include:
- Our experiences with personal and professional crises.
- Understanding the significance of reputation based on words, ideas, and emotions associated with brands.
- Efficiently cycling through a crisis as seen in a shooting incident Rob witnessed and responded to.
- The importance of an organization to take control of their narrative, and common barriers why some do not tell their stories.
- What good marketing looks like and the importance of preparedness in building one’s reputation.
- How crisis leadership operates on instinct and preparedness.
- Knowing who your stakeholders are – be it influencers, detractors or ambassadors, and fostering relationships with them before crisis arises.
- The seven most common categories of crisis that we’re bound to encounter.
- Statistics that provide a snapshot of the type of crisis different industries went through over the last year.
- How the smoldering nature of crisis and mismanagement as the reason for crisis indicates leaders’ inability to respond and confront problems despite knowledge of it.
- A look into the Domino’s employee controversy that demonstrated how they addressed the scandal and mitigate damage to their reputation.
- The 15-7-15 Paradigm that expounds how organizations must come up with decisions.
- The five questions to address during a critical time based on the Resilient Moment Communications Model.
- How optimism makes all the difference in predicting an individual or organization’s success.
- The Resilient Leadership Model that stresses the qualities of integrity, communication, decisiveness, optimism, responsibility, resiliency, and self-care observed in the world’s top leaders.
- The significance of Organizational Muscle Memory by employing a Crisis Plan or a checklist as witnessed with Sully’s Hudson River emergency landing.
- Questions Rob addressed from the audience were about:
- Balancing full disclosure without jeopardizing ongoing investigation or remediation.
- The importance of open lines of communication between parties in conflict.
- How to effectively confront and resolve issues in the workplace.
- Society’s tendency to be desensitized with apologies.
- Ways to proactively share your story based on identified objectives.
Resources Mentioned During Webinar:
- “Best presentation ever!!!! Yes, Please have Rob here again before I retire!!! What insight into life, living, treating other people. Resilient moment communication model is great 5 answers to questions. It was all great information, relevant, and useful in any walk of life….” — Pamela
- “It was great having real-life experience to see how to put things in perspective.” — Amber
- “He was impressive.” — Brian
- “Great Presentation, would like more on this subject. Most of us are in a very challenging profession and can be targets. We need as much information as possible.” — Carrie
- “I really liked that he used some of his time to provide real-life examples that coincided with his message. This helped keep it relevant.” –Elizabeth
- “Very much appreciated the real-life examples. also, discussion of how to be a resilient leader in the face of crisis. great!!” — Georgia
- “Excellent webinar and very valuable to my job as a probation officer.” — Karen