Un-arresting away homelessness in your community through the development of a homeless outreach team is one of the hottest trends in policing today. If your agency continues to struggle with more questions than answers about effective responses to homelessness, consider the top 10 reasons why you should start a homeless outreach team.
Homelessness is expensive. Each chronically homeless person on the streets of your community consumes up to $30,000 annually in public resources (such as jail stays and emergency room visits).
Homeless outreach teams combine the best elements of problem-oriented policing, intelligence-led policing and community-oriented policing. By breaking the “homeless circle of life” through police homeless outreach, your agency can:
- Solve the problem, not the symptoms
- Reduce the demand upon public services by high-need, high-utilizer clients
- Reduce arrest and incarceration rates
- Reduce your risk of costly litigation
- Reduce citizen complaints and calls for service
Click Here to Register for Part 2 of this series, “How to Start a Police Homeless Outreach Team in 3 Easy Steps.”
- “Leaning the cost of street homelessness vs. housing for the homelessness in a permanent dwelling; the hope that lives can be changed one life at a time. I loved the wedding!!! there IS hope!! Encourages me to do something with my retirement in 2020! Thank you.” — Pamela
- “The breadth of vectors for addressing these admittedly complex and at times frustrating, issues. Additionally, the lineage of court decisions referenced that can be used to “educate” those who previously have refused to be educated! Thank you…As ALWAYS!!!” — John
- “Looking forward to January for his Part 2. Excellent speaker with an important topic.” — Robert
- “Being real about a huge problem.” — Vivienne