The first two lines in the book Good to Great is “Good is the enemy of great. And that is one of the key reasons why we have so little that becomes great.”
That is why we have so few exceptional police agencies throughout the country. We have a lot of good ones, and in some cases, really good ones. But there are not many that have made the commitment to striving for excellence because good is good enough and it takes a whole lot less work. That may have been alright in a time when 100 or more candidates would line up for one police officer opening. Nowadays agencies are lucky to get 10 people to apply and those 10 have probably applied at 10 other agencies as well. People want to work in a police agency where they can achieve their potential and do great things with their lives – not good things but truly great things. People are attracted to those agencies that strive for excellence in all that they do and those fortunate to be working in one of those organizations will spend their careers there doing great things with their lives.
Creating a culture of excellence is dependent upon the quality of people at every level of the department but it all starts with the chief executive.
- Understand that excellence doesn’t happen by chance, but instead it is the result of setting and achieving high standards.
- Understand just how much that they directly impact the motivation, job satisfaction, and performance of their followers.
- Review best practices on how to attract the right recruits to their organization.
- Understand the importance of giving the same attention to retention that they give to recruitment.
- Review best practices that will allow them to recruit and promote the right people and not the best test-takers.
Other Webinars in this Series Include:
- Marketing and Hiring: How to Stand Out When You’re a Small Fish in a Big Pond
- Creating a Constant Stream of Recruits: Finding Great People to Meet Your Agency’s Goals
- Responding to a Recruiting Crisis: Using Innovative Tactics to Transform Your Recruiting Practices
- The Workforce Crisis and What Law Enforcement Agencies Are Doing about It.
- Recruiting and Retention of Police: Strategies for Small and Medium-Sized Agencies
- The New Generations: How to Recruit, Retain and Motivate
- (This Webinar) Creating an Agency Culture of Excellence that Attracts the Right Recruits, Keeps the Right Team, and Promotes the Right People
- Aug 27: The Secret Sauce to Finding the Best Candidates
- Nov 3: Creating and Maintaining a Great Workforce: Recruiting and Retaining Quality Employees
- Dec 10: Recruiting the Next Generation to Your Agency