When it comes to hiring and retention, law enforcement agencies of all sizes and in all parts of the country are facing a quadruple threat: many agencies are already understaffed; applications are down; voluntary resignations are up, and a large number of officers hired in the 1990s and 2000s are beginning to retire. Many leaders are asking the same question: where are we going to find the law enforcement officers of the future?
To help answer that critical question, the Police Executive Research Forum conducted a research study and published a report that documents the workforce crisis facing law enforcement and how some agencies are working to address it. This webinar will review PERF’s research findings and highlight some of the innovative strategies that agencies are adopting.
Attendees of this webinar will learn about the following:
- The nature and extent of the workforce crisis facing American law enforcement, including barriers to recruiting and retaining personnel.
- Innovative approaches that some agencies have adopted to improve their recruitment efforts.
- Promising strategies that agencies are implementing to increase retention of officers.
- 12 takeaways to improve both recruitment and retention.
Other Webinars in this Series Include:
- Marketing and Hiring: How to Stand Out When You’re a Small Fish in a Big Pond
- Creating a Constant Stream of Recruits: Finding Great People to Meet Your Agency’s Goals
- Responding to a Recruiting Crisis: Using Innovative Tactics to Transform Your Recruiting Practices
- (This Webinar) The Workforce Crisis and What Law Enforcement Agencies Are Doing about It.
- May 13: Recruiting and Retention of Police: Strategies for Small and Medium-Sized Agencies
- June 24: The New Generations: How to Recruit, Retain and Motivate
- July 28: Creating an Agency Culture of Excellence that Attracts the Right Recruits, Keeps the Right Team, and Promotes the Right People
- Aug 27: The Secret Sauce to Finding the Best Candidates
- Nov 3: Creating and Maintaining a Great Workforce: Recruiting and Retaining Quality Employees
- Dec 10: Recruiting the Next Generation to Your Agency
The Police Executive Research Forum (PERF) is an independent research organization that focuses on critical issues in policing. Since its founding in 1976, PERF has identified best practices on fundamental issues such as reducing police use of force; developing community policing and problem-oriented policing; using technologies to deliver police services to the community; and evaluating crime reduction strategies. Through its membership of 3,000 police chiefs, sheriffs, researchers and other officials, PERF strives to advance professionalism in policing and to improve the delivery of police services through the exercise of strong national leadership; public debate of police and criminal justice issues; and research and policy development.